Tutorials

12.10.2008

Feel free to use any of my tutorials to create for yourself or as gifts.
You may not sell items made from my patterns without my permission.
For rules of craft blog tutorial ettiquette see the bottom of this post.


[ Sewing ]

 
  
 



[ Quilting ]

 



[ For the Home ]

 



[ Parties ]

 




[ With the Kids ]

  



[ Photoshop ]

 




[ Scrapbooking ]


  


[ Other ]


  

  

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


Craft Tutorial Blog Ettiquette: by Dana from Made.


* Photos taken by a person belong to them. Using another person's photo for monetary gain, to promote your business, or without giving them credit is wrong and lame. Some bloggers require you to ask their permission before using a photo for any reason. And some simply prefer a photo credit, which leads me to....


* Always, always give photo credits. When you use someone's photo, place a little credit underneath it, or somewhere in your post so that people know where the image came from. Some bloggers do this by writing "source" or "image via" under a photo with hyperlinks to the photo source. Figure out a method that works best for you and always give credit....even if you think it's not a big deal because it's on a small family blog!


* Never post another person's tutorial on your site unless you've discussed with them and you're all on the same page. As stated above, it's okay to share a few photos and link back to the original tutorial. But it's suuuuper lame to copy/paste someone's step-by-step tutorial on your blog, even if you think you're promoting their idea. You might think this is a no-brainer but it's happened to me a few times.


* It's okay to make your own tutorial that's similar to an idea that's been done before. Afterall, there's nothing new under the sun. But put your own spin on it, use your own words, your own style, your own look. Simply remaking someone's tutorial by taking your own photos yet following their exact steps and using the same wording is copying. It's not cool.


* Remember that people are still people, with human feelings--no matter how large or small their site it. I love and appreciate all the wonderful feedback you guys give me on my posts. I look forward to your comments and really love reading them! But I'm just a normal gal; a mom like many of you. When someone leaves a rude comment, it hurts. I try let it roll off my back and stay above it (my husband is good at encouraging me to do this). Now I can't say "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" because I do think blogs are a forum for open dialogue. But my blog is not known as an opinion blog. It's mostly a place to share pretty things, fun ideas, and inspire creativity. So if your comment is unkind or unrelated to the heart of the blog post, please rise above your urge to type it and find another forum for such opinions.

Ditto.

No comments: