Despicable Me Party: Food & Treats

3.16.2011

So, the food for this party was so fun to brainstorm!

I always host parties starting at 1:00 pm on a Saturday because of my overwhelming desire to avoid having to serve guests an actual meal. However, if you did decide to serve a meal I would highly suggest Stuffed Crust Pizza.

It's such a funny part of the movie and you could either order it or grab a frozen variety (DiGiorno makes one) from the store. Ooooohhhh....stuffed crust!

I also always opt for ice water at parties, but if you're brave and/or don't have light carpeting you could always serve Juice Boxes like the one Edith was drinking when she got shut in the spike-box.

So, on to my choices...

Candy in a dog bowl - When Gru first adopts the girls he leads them into the kitchen where he has a red dog bowl filled with candy for their food source.
I snagged this perfect red dog bowl at the dollar store (Dollar Tree to be exact) and filled it with a bag of mixed candy. The kids loved it...obviously.
Coconutties - So, I considered baking some coconut cookies, but as the days fast approached and my to-do list grew I decided to opt out of the Super Mommy Hall of Fame and grabbed a bag of macaroons from the store for under $2. Easy peesy. Just to help the kids make the connection I made this small sign, printed it and placed it in front of the cookies. Download my Coconutties place card for free by clicking here.

Minion Cupcakes - SO cute and easy!

- pre-baked cupcakes, cooled
- one Twinkie for each two cupcakes you'll be making
- one can regular vanilla frosting
- piping bag and round piping tip
- 10-15 packages of Smarties candy (white seperated and set aside)
- black food coloring paste
- one container dark brown Jimmies

- Cut each Twinkie into two equal pieces.
- Spread white frosting onto each cupcake.
- Split remaining frosting into 2 separate bowls.
- Tinted one batch black and another light grey.
- Pipe a black line 1 inch from the rounded top of the Twinkie. This becomes the goggle straps.
- Stick on the two white Smarties while the black frosting line is still wet. 
- Use the same black frosting to make pupils on two white Smarties.
- Add the mouth with the same black frosting. 


- Use the lighter grey icing to pipe a thin line around the goggle edges
- Stick a few dark brown jimmies in the top for the hair. 

The cupcake frosting is so rough because I planned on putting a circle of fondant on top that the Twinkie Minions would appear to be bursting forth from...until I realized how stressed I was...then I skipped it.  No guilt!

Note: I made these just one hour before party time and the Twinkies (which are known to be literally unable to spoil) get really dried out and gross when exposed to the air for even a short time. Not that any of the 4-year-olds complained.

See the other posts in this series...
 



19 comments:

Veronica said...

I've GOT to see this movie now! Guess I can't drag my teenagers to it, now can I? LOL

emilyG said...

Waiting on pins and needles for the final post! My almost 3 year old child eavesdropped on me looking at your minion cupcakes and LOST HER MIND and now we'll be having a Despicable Me party as well. Can't wait! Love all your ideas. I think I'm going to put Little J in a tutu and place little tiny dollhouse toilets all over the table. Haha.

Wendy said...

those treats are sooo cute. I would love to surprise my kids with a treat like that...we love that movie is sweet and hilarious!! Thanks for sharing.

Lenzi Woodbury said...

I'm seriously DYING!!! My kids absolutely love this movie and this party is something that needs to happen in my home. NOW! However, we don't have any birthdays coming up until AUGUST! That's simply too long to wait now that I'm super inspired! SO, I think I'm going to use your darling party ideas for a "Kick Off to Summer/Pool Party" on my kids' last day of school. Then they can use the squid guns outside and in the pool too. Seriously, you are amazingly creative. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Kari said...

Emilie!
This has to be one of the coolest birthday parties ever...we LOVE Despicable Me!

I'll be sending my Ucreate Parties readers your way!

Christine @ Pure Joy Events said...

Amazing party. Would love to feature your DIY projects on my "Tutorial Tuesday" series on http://www.purejoyeventsblog.com/.

Mac said...

I love this. So cute..
I have a question, if you don't serve meals at party was it just the cupcakes and candies? How long was the party for?
I never heard of a party with no food, this is new to me. I'd like to know more just in case one day I decide on this.

Trish - Sweetology101 said...

I love this so much! I could so relate to the part about skipping an idea b/c of stress or time crunch (you w/ the minion coming out of fondant topper....) we have ALL been there! Thanks for being REAL. This is the CUTEST party ever.

em-il-ie said...

Mac said...I have a question, if you don't serve meals at party was it just the cupcakes and candies? How long was the party for?

We always have it at 1pm on a Saturday. Parents know (or you could mention it on the invite) to give their kids lunch before coming. Then we have treats (like candy and cookies in this case) and the cake/cupcakes.

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

These are awesome!!! LOVE them.

Lynn - A Foodie and Her Family and Crafty Lynn said...

Thank you so much for the idea. I made a quick version last night for our dinner and movie night.

Lynn
http://punkaroonie.blogspot.com/2011/05/minion-cupcakes.html

Denise @ Madison House Chef said...

Thank you for this amazing idea! I made these Minion Cupcakes for my daughter's class b'day party and they were a HIT! Thanks again.

http://www.madisonhousechef.com/2011/05/minion-cupcakes.html#more

Scrappy Sugar Girl said...

Hi! I came across your blog by clicking Next. I am a new follower. I am in love with the minion cupcakes. I think you just gave me inspiration for a December b-day. I was going to do a snowman party for my 11 yr. old but I think that's more my style than his. Thank you for sharing.
Rhonda@scrappysugargirl.blogspot.com

Tab said...

Love it! My son turns 2 next week, and he LOVES the minions! I'm not sure who he laughs harder at - Vector or the minions. With his birthday being so close to Christmas, this will such a great way to break up the winteriness (new word). Thanks so much for the post!

Theresa L said...

I love these ideas!! I'm totally going to do this for my son's 9th birthday in a couple months!! You rock, MOM!!!

Anonymous said...

I followed your recommendations and threw my son a Descpicable Me party last month -- those minion cupcakes were the talk of the neighborhood! Thanks for helping me create such fun memories for my family.

oearnold said...

I am LOVING this stuff and am going to do it for my son's 1st birthday in August. I think we will do "Pin the nose on the Gru" game instead :) SO Excited!

Unknown said...

Hello, I am so in love with this that I am recreating it for my daughter's 4th birthday! Can you post or send me the file for the pin the googles on the minion? I was able to get the googles but not the minion.

~Natalia

Anonymous said...

Wat are dark brown jimmies?